Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Kobenhaven


Since this is a blog afterall, I decided I will keep small updates like this in between those big article type posts on how not to be a FOB. I have to give readers some reward for checking for updates. Besides, I sometimes just don't feel like writing about FOBs.

For those not in the know, I actually work for a large Danish company. I was sent to Copenhagen a few times for training where I seemed to have successfully schmoozed with one of the Global Directors. Anyway, it would seem like there is a high probability that I will be taking up a position of some importance over at head-office. The reason I say "high probability" is that I got a few phone calls from this guy telling me that he "highly suggests I tender my application and consider this job as a spring board to a position of my choice in the near future" Great news, right?

Surprisingly, this has created a lot of trouble for me for the following reasons:
  1. I just got a "big" raise 'cause I made such a big stink about being overworked and underpaid by the organization here in Canada.
  2. Part of the reason I got this "big" raise was because Canada didn't want other regions poaching me. About 2 months ago, I found out that the VP in NY actually made recommendations for me to be implanted in Hong Kong for a major retail account and was turned down by El Presidente. I had also found out (while in HK) that another group in the US have been making attempts at getting me to their group, again, foiled by El Presidente.
  3. Because this position has an immediate requierment, I need to start re-evaluating my short to mid-term personal and financial plans!
You may ask why I just don't pick up and leave. The company, as you can see has a lot of politics, and making an enemy of your boss, especially the President, just ain't good for politics.

So what did I do? I applied anyway! I spoke to the Prez and asked him for "guidance" since he's lived in Copenhagen before. I'll know by the end of the month so more updates to come!

1 Comments:

At 9:53 p.m., Blogger muriel said...

congrats on your promotion, ken!! ..or promotion in pay i mean!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home