I heart Shanghai... NOT
So I know you all have been dying to hear about Shanghai. To be quite honest, after having spent a week there, it kinda sucked.
There has been a lot of hype about Shanghai, in particular from the people I know who've travelled there. Below is a shot I took while walking around in People's Square. For the Danes, it is equivalent to stroget but only 50 million times more massive and populated.
Those who know me can already tell how the gaudiness of the square can be a bit of a turn-off.

Though I spent a lot of time in the hotel typing up presentations, I did try to go out and see some things and yes, I - did- ask a local to take me around. She took me to the popular "bund" where I saw some pretty old and western buildings which are occupied mostly by large European banks. It actually looked a lot like Copenhagen only with less charm. I also saw the famous TV tower. I won't bother posting a picture of this primarily since I was not successful in taking one decent night shot with my new camera primarily cause I didn't know how to use it. :P
Overall, Shanghai was huge and yes, I can see how people would qualify it as a world class city because of the skyscrapers, the monorail, and all the modern amenities - some of them more modern than in some western cities. However, the city overall lacked charm or personality.
Another observation made by my co-worker is that most of the locals can't afford to live in Shanghai - which probabily causes this void.
Anyway, I am glad to be back in 'Wonderful Copenhagen' even though winter is closing in!

1 Comments:
where are the pictures of the babies with the holes in their pants!?!? where are the pictures of those "not-so-hot" china girls u were telling me about?
Post a Comment
<< Home